Are you looking for a challenge? Do you want to make the world a better place, meet great people, and experience university life? Develop skills in designing, building and launching a social enterprise? Join Laurier’s Social Innovation & Venture Creation (SIVC) team for the Youth Education Summit (YES!) where you’ll meet other local and international students and community leaders. You’ll live in residence and learn from university professors about design thinking, planning a business or event, and the importance of having young people use their power and passions to make a positive difference in the world.
Become a leader. Change the world. Join SIVC-YES!
What is SIVC-YES!
SIVC-YES! is an elite program to enhance and further develop leadership skills in young people who want to do well by doing good.
By working in teams and with faculty, university students and community members, YES! participants will develop their leadership and collaboration skills while working on projects, products and events that have a positive social impact. Students will be trained in design thinking, agile innovation, the Business Model Canvas and more. In so doing, they will learn how to test, validate, and scale their ideas. The key to innovation is a positive environment where early failures are valuable for the insights they generate. SIVC YES! will help youth learn more about the tools and mindset that go into innovation while also gaining comfort in a post-secondary environment that includes residence living, learning from professors and current university students, and experiencing life away from home. SIVC-YES! is an exclusive opportunity to give youth a competitive advantage in innovation and entrepreneurship, make new friends, ease the transition to post-secondary education, learn more about the K-W region, while expanding their minds and skill to take on the worlds most challenging problems.
February 15th – Applications Open (a $30* CDN, non-refundable, application fee is waived for a limited time only!)
March 31st – Early Bird Pricing Ends ($4500* CDN)
April 29th – Applications for Regular Pricing Closes ($5200* CDN)
May 6th – First installment of Registration Fees Due ($2500* CDN)
June 10th – Second installment of Registration Fees Due
July 3rd – July 17th : SIVC-YES! Participants Arrive and Stay at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo
July 17th – SIVC-YES! Participants return home
July 17th – July 24th – Participants Collaborate Online to complete their Social Innovation Pitches and Portfolios
- Exposure to the university environment including working directly with faculty and staff, and current Laurier students.
- Community-based learning in collaboration with community leaders, corporate partners, and mentors.
- Work-integrated learning to gain skills and experience through doing Project development in collaboration with Future Design School.
- Programming in the Purpose Lab, Laurier’s on-campus social innovation space.
- Field trips to innovation and maker spaces around Waterloo region (e.g. Communitech Digital Media Hub, Balsillie School of International Affairs)
- Introduction to global issues and intercultural engagement
- Certificate in Intercultural Social Innovation & Venture Creation from WLU
- Insurance coverage
- 2 weeks of accommodation and meals
- 1 week of online working group facilitation
- Transportation to/from the airport
- SIVC SWAG and Resource Kit
Cost Payment Options
- Early Bird 1 Pricing (Registered by March 7, 2016): $4500* CDN
- Regular Pricing: $5200* CDN
A $2500* CDN deposit ($1500 non-refundable) is due at the time of registration.
The second remainder payment of $2700* CDN (or $2200 at Early Bird Pricing) is due May 6, 2016.
If you choose, you may pay the full registration fee in one lump-sum at the time of registration. Please note that $1500* CDN of this lump-sum is still considered to be a non-refundable deposit.
*All fees are tax inclusive
Ready to apply?
If you’re ready to apply for the SIVC-YES! please fill out the application form by April 29th.
Get inspired. Change the world.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org anytime!